Tuesday, May 6, 2008

as i try to cry

I can't cry. I do not wish not to, but i can't. In fact, i wish to cry out sometimes, to weep until all agony and desperation is gone. I do not know why i can't. I do not remember the last time a tear trickled down my cheek. Or do i?

Once i heard someone weeping when i was listening to a piece on the piano and once when there was silence all around and once when i had lost myself. It was me, but without the tears. Why do tears ebb out when we cry? Why do we smile and laugh when we are happy? I've got no answers nor did i get any, but i realised that i was not alone.

Calvin: Isn't it strange that evolution would give us a sense of humor? When you think about it, it's weird that we have a physiological response to absurdity. We laugh at nonsense. We like it, we think it's funny. Don't you think it's odd that we appreciate absurdity? Why would we develop that way? How does it benefit us?

No comments: